Search This Blog

Monday, October 24, 2011

Homemade is always the best

I love cooking! Honestly, I love food! I sometimes just wish things didn't take so long to make...for example, I really wanted a chicken pot pie but the store made ones (typically frozen) have very high amounts of sodium. So, I gathered all of the ingredients that I needed and set to work:

I bought some pre-cooked, cubed chicken at the grocery store and just kept it in the freezer until I wanted to use it. You can use left over chicken breast cut up, rotisserie chicken pulled off the bone, or try canned chicken in water. I use soup (1 can of cr of chicken and 1 can of cr of mushroom) because I was making a chicken pot pie and I like mushrooms as well. You can use cream of celery or two of the same or even a gravy base. I had a bag of frozen veggies that are the steam fresh kind you cook right from frozen. If you use other frozen veggies, you may want to cook them ahead of time. I also like to add potatoes to mine, so I sauted up some red potatoe chunks with olive oil, salt, pepper, and one of my fave spices~thyme. While the potatoes were on the stove, I made up a quick crust.

Pie crust is actually one of the easiest things to make and I'm glad my mom taught me a quick, easy recipe: Mix 2 cups of flour, 2/3 cup of shortening, a pinch of salt, and 5-6 tbsp as needed. This is enough to make a top and bottom crust. So I rolled out the two crusts, mixed all of the ingredients together, and ended up with this:

Then just bake for about 45 minutes @ 375 degrees and enjoy:) Do you like chicken pot pie? What are some of your variations on the recipe??

And since I was in the homemade mode I decided to get up the next morning and make myself some scrambled eggs & pancakes:

1 comment: