Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Yummy Goodness

One weekend each month, my friend Sarah & her husband Bryan host a movie night at their house. We all get together and eat dinner & then watch two flicks, with a theme. This last time was SNL movies. So, we watched Coming to America (surprisingly, I have never seen this before) & Anchorman. I only stayed for the first movie this go round, but it was highly entertaining. My boo is from Nigeria and is fond of this movie as people assume he is from the jungle, because he is from Africa. I enjoyed the comedy in the film as well as being able to laugh at some of the inside jokes I have with Tunde because the movie too.:)
I decided to bring a chocolate bundt cake with cherry whip cream in order for it to be a semi-Valentine's themed dessert as it was the month of February. I googled Valentine's desserts on google and was directed to cdkitchens.com and found the recipe. The cake called for sour cream and was delicious! (Since Sarah and I are trying to eat healthy[ier], I used fat free sour cream instead of regular.) I sprinkled it with confectionary sugar after it had cooled and it was ready to eat. I will say that I was disappointed in one part of this recipe. I bought heavy whipping cream to make my own and then follwed the recipe directions. When I last checked on my mixer, it was starting to whip up nicely. Then, when I thought it would be done a minute or two later, I checked on it, and it had completely separated! Luckily, I had a container of frozen whipped topping (fat free as well!) that I grabbed and put the marachino cherries in. This leads me to another recipe that I used from the same website for chocolate cream cheese cupcakes. Since I love cooking, but I wouldn't be able to eat the whole batch myself, I wanted to make something for the holiday for work. So, last Sunday, I made those for Valentine's day for the office:) This recipe was really good as well, however again, there was just a small problem with the consistency of the cream cheese center. I'm not sure if it was due to the recipe, or me not letting it sit out long enough and soften. This is the final result:
Everyone at work thoroughly enjoyed them:)
Since I was making cupcakes for work, and my Monday night Bible study was having a little party to celebrate, I made cupcakes for them too. This recipe I made up on my own though:) I had grilled some chicken not too long ago and used sage to season it. I loved the flavor from it, and thought it would be amazing in a dessert. I just took a box of lemon cake mix and made it as directed. Before baking, I added 2 teaspoons of sage and a cup and a half of cut blackberries. I frosted them with cream cheese frosting and a blackberry.
All of the ladies loved them...and because they had fruit, I tried to reason that they were healthy. {grin}
On a side note, I am attempting to switch this blog over to a wordpress site rather than blogger due to a friend's suggestion that it has more options for me to possibly make a small amount of money off of it. So, if that happens, I will let you know as it will be the same blog title.
Stay tuned as I have more to write about, including: Nigerian food, Ethiopian food, a movie, & a tv show.

No comments:

Post a Comment